About Me

My name is Gorden Struck, I’m currently a junior at the University of Mary Washington in Fredericksburg, Virginia, and I’m a double major in Political Science and International Affairs. I went to high school at C.D. Hylton High School and graduated in the class of 2010. During high school, I was a member of the rowing and cross-country teams, I was an active member in the Center for International Studies and Languages (CISL) specialty program, and I was an active member in Model United Nations (MUN) were I was Under-Secretary General during my senior year and coordinated the annual MUN conference held at C.D. Hylton. Throughout high school I gained a keen interest in Arabic, which was one of the main reasons why I chose to study at UMW because of their Arabic program. I’ve been told that my interest in Arabic will benefit me throughout my career; however, I’ve had a special interest in Arabic primarily because of its rich history in the Middle East and North Africa. I enjoy reading good books for fun and for educational reasons, and I enjoy working out, and I consider myself a history nerd due to my father’s influence with him being an AP U.S. History teacher.

Some time ago I told my mother that I wanted to be the most interesting man in the world. Apart of that fantasy was due to the Dos Equis guy, but the idea was there in my head. I wanted to have the opportunity to do things most people don’t get to do for a living; of course that’s every college kids thinking right? I remember promising myself that no matter what I WILL NOT have a job that required me to sit in a cubicle (I broke that promise two summers ago with my first internship). This is why I chose to study abroad, so I can experience things that most haven’t in their own lifetime. I chose Morocco because they spoke Arabic (duh!) and also because Morocco is about a 30 minute boat ride from Europe, Morocco would seem to be the place to experience a variety of cultures. Along with politics, I’m also very interested in the field of anthropology, more specifically ethnography and the study of different cultures. So, with the mixture of Arabic, different culture and oh yeah, going to school abroad, at my fingertips I’m more than ready to experience this Morocco. Allons-y!